What diet to follow to stay fresh and hydrated during the summer season?
When summer arrives, people wish to come out to soak up in the sun. Both children and adults engage in a lot of outdoor activities. But summer also means extremely hot weather that can lead to dehydration and other illness if you are not careful. It would be difficult for you to stay on a task due to the hot, energy-draining, humid weather. Summer even tends to increase your body heat, so you need to find ways to keep yourself hydrated and cool during this season. Here is an interesting read on the diet to follow to stay fresh and hydrated this summer.
What happens to the body when you don’t properly hydrate yourself?
The adult human body consists of 60% water. But during summers, we tend to lose a lot of water due to sweating and perspiration. In order to balance the water content in our body, we have to follow proper hydration methods. The proper intake of liquids helps in optimizing blood pressure, regulating body temperature, lubricating the joints, and eliminates waste out of our body.
Dehydration also causes fatigue and muscle cramps. You can easily find out if you are dehydrated through these signs:
- Dry mouth
- Temporary headache
- Loss of appetite
- Mild constipation
- Pale urine indicates that your body is adequately hydrated, whereas the dark color indicates that your body needs more fluids.
Foods that we that consume to stay hydrated
Here is a list of food diet to follow to stay fresh and hydrated this summer:
1. Coconut water:
It is an ideal drink for the summers. It is filled with electrolytes and is the best alternative to water. After sweating a lot after work out, your body needs to replenish the electrolyte store to keep yourself hydrated. Coconut water does the magic of restoring electrolytes in your body.
Include a lot of seasonal fruits in your diet. Fruits like watermelon, guava, musk melon, grapes, and mangoes, are some of the fruits which are available in abundance in the summer season. We can either make a salad from these fruits or make smoothies and juices. This will help in increasing the water content in your body.
Cucumber, bottle guard, white pumpkin, are the vegetables which have 90% water content in them. So, make sure that you include these veggies in your daily cooking.
4. Dairy products:
Curd, buttermilk, yogurt, and milk, are some of the dairy products that are preferred during summer.
5. Fenugreek seeds:
Consuming fenugreek helps to reduce body heat quickly. It can be consumed raw as well as in soaked form. Try to include fenugreek seeds in your daily cooking as well to minimize the body heat.
6. Sugarcane juice:
It is an instant energy drink. You feel refreshed after drinking a glass of chilled sugarcane juice.
Rules to follow to stay energized throughout the day
- Eat what is good for your body: Since the heat level of the human body increases during summer, you should avoid eating spicy, oily, and heavy food. Sour food can also cause harm, so avoid products like cheese and sour cream. It is better to include sweet, astringent, or bitter food in your diet.
- Eating smaller meals throughout the day will help in easy digestion, and you will not feel sluggish due to overeating. Swapping our morning cup of coffee with a bowl of whole-grain serial or milk porridge will give you a filling effect.
- Taking the daily dosage of Vitamin B helps in the proper functioning of the body. Consuming vitamin C rich food like lemons and oranges helps to control the dryness of the mouth.
- Make sure to carry a water bottle along with you while you travel. Never wait until you feel thirsty. Keep drinking water at frequent intervals.
You need not fear the harmful effects of sun if you follow precautionary measures like drinking plenty of liquids, eating lots of fruits and vegetables, and avoiding heavy foods. Following these steps will ensure that you are not only fit during summer but will also feel fresh during the vacation time!