Recipes for Pongal: Famous and traditional
Event Fashion: As you get ready to celebrate Pongal, we bring you some traditional Recipes for Pongal from grandmother’s cookbook. Here’s a quick recipe for Instant Pot sakkarai and ven Pongal as Pongal recipe.
Recipes for Pongal
Sakkarai Pongal recipe
A sweet rice custard that is made during the festival season of Pongal.
Also read: Pongal Traditions: As Harvests Come to Li
- 1 cup split moong dal
- Add 1 cup of raw white rice
- 4 cups jaggery
- Cashew nuts
- Dried grape
- Black pepper
- Water according to need
- 3 tablespoon ghee or refined butter
• Place the washed split moong daal and rice in a vessel and add 2-3 cups of water on it. Cook in a pressure cooker for 10 whistles and then allow it to cool.
• In a frying pan, add shred jaggery and 1/4 cup water and melt it in a low flame. Allow it to boil and stir to ensure there are no lumps.
• In a small frying pan, pour one tablespoon ghee and allow it to melt. Fry cashew nuts and Dried grape till they turn golden brown.
• Open the lid of the pressure cooker and with a spoon, grind the rice and dal mix till it becomes mushy.
• keep the pressure cooker on low flame and pour the jaggery mix into the mixture and mix until everything is well mixed. Keep on boiling, add two spoons of ghee and elaichi powder. Mix well.
• Keep on stirring so that the bottom does not stick. Finally, add the cashew nuts, black pepper and, raisins to the mixture.
Before serving the Pongal, leave it to cool a bit for a few mins. Finally, the Pongal recipe for a delicious traditional Sakkara Pongal, ready to serve.
Ven Pongal Recipe
Most of the south Indian household prepare ven Pongal as a part of breakfast at least once a month, we usually make it with rice or millet for a change try our recipe bellowed, it’s a perfect choice I would say.
- Raw Rice – 1 cup
- Split yellow moong dal / Pasiparuppu -1/4 cup
- Salt according to taste
- Water – 4 cup
- Ghee-5 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds -2 tsp
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Green chilli-2
- Ginger-2 tablespoon grated
- Pepper-1 tablespoon
- Curry leaves-1
Also read: Bhogi – The first day of Pongal
- Wash the rice and dal. keep it to drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in a pressure cooker and add in rice and dal…Fry this for 5 mins.
- Pour the water and bring this to a boil and add salt accordingly in it.
- Cover and keep it for 4 whistles and let it cook in low flame for 10 mins.
- Open the cooker and mix well the ingredients.
- Heat ghee in a frying pan and add cashews, cumin seeds, pepper, ginger, green chilli, curry leaves and sauté this for a minute.
- Now add in rice and dal mixture and mix well.
- Let the rice absorb all flavors and wait for 3 minutes.
- Serve hot with sambar or chutney.
The beautiful day decked up with perfect recipes and attractive Kolams, it’s the time to wish, greet and make happy moments together. Happy Pongal to you and your family.